SiREN Toolkit: Applying for Human Research Ethics Approval
This toolkit provides an introduction to the human research ethics approval process for those who have not submitted an ethics application before or are unsure if they require ethics approval. Before deciding whether or not to submit an application for ethics approval it is important to understand why research projects require ethical oversight and approval, how to prepare and where to submit an ethics application, the ongoing requirements after receiving ethics approval, and where you can go for further assistance. This toolkit contains information and quick links to assist you in planning, writing and submitting an ethics application. The toolkit refers you to a series of templates and examples which can be found following. We hope these will assist you in developing your own ethics application.
Ethics submissions can really add value to a project proposal and help ensure problems are avoided. Seeking ethics approval should be started as soon as possible since approval may take up to 6 weeks or longer. The SiREN team can guide you through the process of seeking ethics approval for your project. Please contact us if you need further support email@example.com.
Or download the separate Toolkit sections:
- About this toolkit
- Principles of ethical research conduct
- When do I need ethics approval?
- What are the benefits of obtaining ethics approval?
- Can I undertake human research without ethics approval?
- What is a Human Research Ethics Committee?
- How do I apply for ethics approval?
- What else must I consider?
- Western Australian Human Research Ethics Committees
Example project proposals
Example participant information statements
Example consent forms
Example participant information statement and consent forms used in online surveys
Example recruitment flyer
Guides for conducting interviews
- General guidelines for conducting research interviews
- Conducting an interview
- Conducting research interviews