The PABCAR model is a decision-making tool for health program planning and is useful for the needs assessment process. PABCAR is an acronym for five key questions support program development.
- What is the Problem and is it significant?
- Is it Amenable to change?
- Are the intervention Benefits greater than costs?
- Is there Acceptance for the interventions?
- What actions are Recommended?
Further information on the PABCAR model and how to use it to plan your program is available in section two of the SiREN SHBBV Program Planning Toolkit and in an article describing how the model can be applied.